Gift Ideas - Handmade and Other

Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 25: Five Minute Friday and Pivot Point: Together

Late Thursday night each week, women gather on Twitter and at Lisa Jo Baker's site to join together for Five Minute Friday, a time to write without worrying about editing, without preparation, to just write for 5 minutes on the prompt that Lisa Jo leaves on her site at 12:01 a.m. Friday morning. I waited a long time to join this, timid and unsure, then one day I found the courage to try and now I enjoy it week after week.

Nester challenged us back in September to write about one topic for the 31 Days of October and this too took some courage, but I am so glad I tried. Her 31 Days Challenge has been fun (and tiring too!)


So today, Five Minute Friday and Pivot Points meet again on the topic of together.

Ready . . . set . . . write:

On May 8, 2011 I stood by my father as he stepped from earth to heaven. He and my mom had been together for over 65 years. My sisters and I had been together caring for him for the last couple of weeks. Now he was together with his Savior, the One he had longed to see.

Since that time, it has been a difficult adjustment for my mom. Grief and the aging process have made life difficult for her since my father's death. This is another pivot point for me too, a change, a period of transformation as I learn together with my sisters and brother how to care for an aging parent. Sometimes we have a sweet time together. Other times there are frustrations and feelings of uncertainty and not knowing what to do. Some days things are good and fairly easy. Other days are not easy and are, in fact, difficult.

However, we are facing this together as a family. Seeking to care for my mom and to keep her comfortable and safe in her own home as long as we can. Why? Because we love her and we are thankful that through the days of our lives she has been our mom who loved us. Together we face this difficult journey . . . together with each other and together with the God who gives us strength and wisdom.

Stop.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Darlene. My parents are getting older, and I dread their loss. Blessings to you and your family. I hope loving memories of your Dad bring you peace when you miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, Thank you for stopping by. Memories of my Dad and the confidence of where he is, do bring me great comfort. May you enjoy the time you have with your parents each chance you have so that you have many memories to bring you comfort.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to your dad, your mom, and the solidarity and commitment of your family as you venture into this next season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, Darlene, and for the pain of change. How wonderful that we have the hope of heaven to ease our burdened hearts. Cheering you on in your blogging efforts from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita. Yes, knowing Dad is in heaven has been a great comfort. I love to imagine what he might be doing and knowing that he lives on there and that I will see him again is a great hope! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Such a tender post. Sorry for your lost, but happy that you know where you and your loved ones are going.
    I am glad you decided to write. 5minfri is always such a blessing to my week. I really look forward to it all week.
    Cheers,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leah,
    Thank you for dropping by and for your encouraging words. Yes, I really look forward to Five Minute Friday too!!
    Blessings,
    Dar

    ReplyDelete