Gift Ideas - Handmade and Other

Friday, December 6, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Reflect

On Fridays Lisa Jo Baker invites people from around the world to link up for Five Minute Friday where we write unfettered and unedited for five minutes. The words flow from our minds and hearts through our fingertips to the keyboard and we WRITE. On this the last Five Minute Friday of 2013 before we take a break for the month of December, the prompt is "REFLECT".

Ready . . . set . . . write . . .

On this last Five Minute Friday of 2013, it is just the right time to reflect back on the year that is coming to a close.

freedigitalphotos.net
My key word this year has been "emerging". The year 2012 was filled with tumult, loss, and profound grief. More tears were shed in 2012 that I thought I had within me to shed. As I reflect back on 2013, it has truly been about emerging from the pain to find peace even where there is no resolution or reconciliation. Emerging from conflict to stability and from loss to hope.

For some time I have had one word that seems to capture a year, to summarize its general direction. What will be my key word for 2014? Ummm . . . I don't know yet. Freedom . . . Choosing Life . . . these are themes that have emerged in 2013 and seem to hold portent for the future. I am not yet sure. I will reflect more on this in the coming weeks . . .

How about you? What word would you use to describe 2013?
What word do you hope will describe 2014?

6 comments:

  1. Love your reflections! Thankful for your year of emerging. God is good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzy, thank you for your encouraging words and I agree, God IS good!!

      Delete
  2. I too have a "word" or phrase that settles with me each year. I look forward to coming back and finding our what it ends up being for 2014. For 2013 my word was "forgiveness", which took me through a journey that I have no words for. But it was oh so freeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm . . . forgiveness is a great word and yes, it can be a very difficult journey. I am glad for the freedom you have found.

      Delete
  3. I have never thought of having a word of phrase that settles in with me each year. 2014 could be a first. Stopping in from Five Minute Friday. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in!! If you decide to pick a word for 2014, I would love to hear back from you about what it is. :-)

      Delete